Remote desktop software is an essential tool for companies that have a remote or hybrid workforce. It enables IT professionals to easily communicate, share files, provide updates, and troubleshoot issues with end users, all while maintaining the workflow of their colleagues. In this guide, we reviewed the top remote desktop software options for Windows in 2022, taking into consideration factors such as suitability for business use, cost-effectiveness, and user-friendliness of the interface.
When choosing the right remote desktop software for your business, it’s important to consider your specific needs and budget. Some software options offer a range of pricing plans and features, including free or trial versions. It’s also important to consider the compatibility of the software with your operating systems and devices, as well as any other tools or systems your business may be using, such as help desk software or third-party applications.
Here are the top five remote desktop software options for Windows in 2022, along with a comparison of their pricing plans, features, and capabilities:
SolarWinds Dameware is a comprehensive on-premises solution that offers powerful remote-access capabilities and systems-management tools. It is designed to work with a variety of operating systems and devices within networks of all sizes, allowing technicians to provide remote support to end users anywhere, anytime. Dameware includes features such as live chat for real-time troubleshooting, one-click screenshot capabilities, easy file sharing between connected devices, and support for multiple monitors and keyboard and mouse control.
It fully integrates with SolarWinds Web Help Desk software, allowing technicians to initiate remote access from within tickets. Dameware also offers secure authentication methods, such as two-factor authentication and single sign-on.
It is available in two on-premises versions: Dameware Mini Remote Control, which is designed for smaller networks and includes all the connectivity, security, and support of the full version at a lower cost; and Dameware Remote Support, which offers additional features such as remote access to specific applications, support for various file types and protocols, and integration with third-party tools.
TeamViewer is a popular choice for enterprise use, offering remote access and screen sharing across Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Chrome. It is known for its sleek interface and up-to-date capabilities, and includes features such as support for multiple monitors, keyboard and mouse control, and file transfer. TeamViewer also offers a range of security measures, including secure data encryption and authentication methods such as two-factor authentication. While TeamViewer does offer a more straightforward, free option intended for non-commercial remote access, it is usually regarded as an enterprise solution, though it does boast particularly good tools for low-bandwidth environments.
GoToMyPC is a user-friendly remote desktop control software option that is particularly well-suited for small and medium-sized businesses. It allows for seamless remote access to Windows and Mac computers from any device with an internet connection and includes features such as file transfer, printer access, and secure data encryption. GoToMyPC also supports multiple monitors and keyboard and mouse control, and offers authentication methods such as two-factor authentication. It is available in three pricing plans: Personal, Professional, and Business, with the Personal plan being free for personal use and the Professional and Business plans offering additional features and support for multiple users.
Splashtop is a cloud-based remote desktop software that allows for quick and easy access to computers and devices from any location. It is available for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android, and includes features such as high-definition video and audio streaming, file transfer, support for multiple monitors and keyboard and mouse control, and the ability to remotely access specific applications. Splashtop also offers a range of security measures, including secure data encryption and authentication methods such as two-factor authentication. It is available in several pricing plans, including a free version for personal use and paid plans for businesses and enterprise users.
RemotePC is a simple and secure remote desktop software that allows for remote access to Windows and Mac computers from any device with an internet connection. It includes features such as file transfer, printer access, and support for multiple monitors and keyboard and mouse control. RemotePC also offers a range of security measures, including secure data encryption and authentication methods such as two-factor authentication. It is available in three pricing plans: Lite, Plus, and Pro, with the Lite plan being free for personal use and the Plus and Pro plans offering additional features and support for multiple users.
Overall, these five remote desktop software options offer a range of features and capabilities to meet the needs of businesses of all sizes. Be sure to consider your specific needs and budget when choosing the right software for your company, and be sure to test out any free or trial versions before committing to a purchase. With the right remote desktop software, you can easily and securely connect with your colleagues and end users, no matter where they are located.
Tips and best practices for using remote desktop software effectively:
- Set up and configure the software properly: Make sure to follow the instructions provided by the software manufacturer for setting up and configuring the software. This may include installing the software on your computer, setting up an account, and configuring any necessary security measures.
- Test the software before using it: Before using the software to remotely access a computer or device, make sure to test it out to ensure that it is working properly. This may include testing the connection, screen sharing, file transfer, and any other features that you plan to use.
- Use secure authentication methods: To ensure the security of your remote connection, be sure to use secure authentication methods, such as two-factor authentication or single sign-on. This will help to prevent unauthorized access to your computer or device.
- Optimize the software for your specific needs: Different businesses have different needs when it comes to remote desktop software. Make sure to customize the software to meet the specific needs of your business, such as by setting up specific users or groups, adjusting the security settings, and integrating the software with other tools or systems you may be using.
- Stay up-to-date with software updates: To ensure the best performance and security of your remote desktop software, make sure to stay up-to-date with the latest software updates. This may include updating the software on your computer, as well as updating any settings or configurations that may have changed with the update.
- Use the software responsibly: When using remote desktop software, it’s important to remember that you are accessing another computer or device remotely. Be sure to use the software responsibly and follow proper cybersecurity practices to protect both your own computer and the device you are accessing. This may include following company policies, protecting your own login credentials, and avoiding accessing sensitive data or systems without proper authorization.